Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Recipe Review: Winter Squash Soup




I have decided to start a "Recipe Review" series.  I'm a follow-the-recipe kind of cook.  I can cook something from scratch when needed, but prefer to use a recipe that I know is good.

I thought I could share my favorite recipes, and how I have changed them, with you.  I will provide links to the recipes when I can and my own review.

Today's recipe is "Winter Squash Soup" from epicurious.com.  I get a lot of my recipes from Epicurious because they have a great selection.

This soup recipe is great.  I absolutely love it.  The fall is the best time to cook this, because the acorn squash and butternut squash are in season.

Add Flavor 

The recipe calls for boiling the squash, but I find a great way to add flavor is to roast the squash.  I cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and rub with olive oil.  Sometimes I add herbs too.  Baking the squash also makes it much easier to cut and peel.

Use Less Fat

The original recipe calls for a half stick of butter!!!  Way too much butter.  I used one tablespoon of olive oil instead.  Much healthier, and it did not affect the flavor one bit.

The recipe also calls for heavy cream at the end.  I use light cream, but you could really use any sort of creamy thing.  Try unsweetened coconut milk, soy milk, or even almond milk.  All these alternatives will work. 

Use an Immersion Blender  

The best time saving trick I have developed yet?  Use an immersion blender.  It made blending this soup so easy.

Add some home made bread on the side, and you have a great dinner recipe.  I somtimes make this ahead (it reheats beautifuly) and seve it to guests as a first course. 

This soup is so good, you really must try it. 

Now that it is fall all I want is soup and pizza!  Not sure what the pizza part is about, maybe it is because I'm on a  diet- I mean a life style change.  I always crave things I should not have. 

What are you craving for fall?

1 comment:

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)