Friday, July 1, 2011

"Brass" New Hardware

Ok it's not new at all, but it looks new. I'm so excited about how the hardware looks after I polished it up.

This is what I started out with:

The hardware looked almost black it was so dark. 

At first I tried a technique I found online and hoped would work....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I bolied it in ketchup.

It got some of the gook off, but they were not "shining" as the website said.

So I turned to good old Brasso. Geez, did it stink.  I rubbed, and I scrubbed and I got sick from the smell, but in the end it was worth it.  

 The hardware looks really amazing.

Just so you can really appreciate the transformation here is the before and after. 

Before

After




I realized I like to keep the original hardware, especially when it is so beautiful and ornate.  I just love it.  I'm so glad this worked and I can use it now. 

I love the Brasso so much that I'm thinking of polishing up my other metals...the bathtub faucet, the door handles, and any other metal I can find.  I just love the stuff (even if it is stinky).

Come back next week for the dresser (which we debated the color to paint here) all finished.  I'm so excited to show you all!

Where I party:

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow. the hardware looks fantastic! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful change! Regardless of how stinky -- definitely worth it! (I was secretly hoping the ketchup worked wonders. Shucks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ketchup? did NOT know about that. those are so pretty, they could be jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what you are saying is a face mask might be a good thing to wear when using Brasso? I never would have thought that ketchup might have been used. Cool that you gave it a shot. The end result of all that hard work really is amazing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)