Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mohonk Mountain House

{source}
If you have never been there you must go.  I have only been to the Mountain House once for my friend's wedding.  Now ten years later these same friends brought me back.

My friend called me before Christmas because she bought a one night stay at the Mohonk Mountain House to celebrate both Christmas and their ten year anniversary.  They needed me to take care of the kids for 24 hours.  

I love these kids, they are really great, and I have been watching them every week for months so this was not new.  I was also looking forward to helping out my two good friends so they could get the romantic getaway they needed.

So I packed my bags and spent the night with the kids.

But it turns out that this babysitting job was much more fun than I expected. What we arranged was for me to bring the kids up to Mohonk so we could enjoy the fun.  First we went ice skating, and then we took a walk around the lake.  finally, we ended the day with tea and cookies in the hotel.
{source}
Overall,  I really enjoyed myself.  So much so, in fact, that I immediately went home and talked my husband into booking us a night at the hotel of our own.  We hope to be there in the spring for one night.    
{source}
Mohonk is so great.  They have ice skating, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, and that is just for the winter.  Indoors they have a spa and an indoor pool that has underwater sound system (very cool).  In the summer they have tons of hiking trails and each trail has little benches and spots to sit and enjoy the view.
{source}
{source}
{source}
The hotel is very nice and grand with wood paneling, lots of fire places and little places to sit and enjoy the evening.

I just love this resort.  The best part is that this resort is 147 years old (I think) and as an historian I can just see what it was like a hundred years ago.  It is like stepping into another time.

I like the idea of getting away to a resort, even if it is for one night and in your own area.  Would you spend a night in a hotel or resort near your home?

2 comments:

  1. If I had that one near me, I should would spend a night there! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, that place looks amazing!

    i would love to stay somewhere close to home, i get deals from groupon for the shore, or poconos, or something, but i feel like it would be a waste of money. or at least money i'd rather spend on a far away vacation, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)