Friday, July 13, 2012

DIY Cocktail Napkins


As I promised, I am continuing my little wedding gift series of tutorials.  On Monday I posted the Jolly Rancher Vodka and today what would go better with flavored vodka than little Cocktail Napkins?

These napkins were made from a dish towel.  I loved the fabric of this dish towel and, to tell the truth, I am not a fan of most fabric in my local fabric stores.


Cut your fabric about 6 x 12 inches.  I just used the size of my measuring thing (my high school teacher always told me never to use the word "thing" - sorry Don).


Fold the fabric in half with the front side in.



Sew up the two sides that do not have the fold or the opposite of the fold (you want to be able to turn it right side out).  Make sure to leave space at the open end.



Shear your sides that you just sewed up.


Turn the napkin right side out and tuck in the open edge.  Make sure to poke in the corners so they are square.


Sew all the way around the napkin with a bright thread.  I sewed it about a 1/4 inch from the edge.


Next, mark the corners of your more showy stitch (ok it is just a zigzag, but hey, I can pretend to be fancy).  In the image above, I marked the zigzag stitch 1 inch from the first, but I changed the rest of them to 1/2 an inch.  That looked much better.  My poor friend has one napkin with zigzag a little different from the rest (that way she knows I made it, haha).


Stitch to the little pencil marks you made (see above) turning on the little pencil spots (I'm watching a British shows and starting to use more British words).


Tie it up with a ribbon and you have a great little present.

This is a easy project for beginner sewers.  Just be sure to sew in a straight line.  Mine are not perfect I have to admit.  I'm kind of a beginner myself.

2 comments:

  1. very cute. i'm thinking i need a new table runner in a print for my dining room, there are no prints in there. perhaps one could diy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least one of us was awake for english class ;)

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile and leave a comment!

 
Blog Design by A Mommy's Blog Design (© Copyright 2011)